Thursday, January 12, 2017

Land of the free

HOME HOME HOME!! I’m heading back to Samoa today after an incredible 4 weeks in America. It was probably the best and most necessary break of my entire life.

It was quite the process to get from the middle of the Pacific Ocean all the way to Gaithersburg, Maryland. My first flight was from Samoa to Hawaii, where I then stayed with 4 other volunteers for a night at Waikiki Beach. It was probably one of the best days we had ever experienced. The true happiness that came from a hot shower, a real bed, and a salad is indescribable. I then flew from Hawaii to DC during an ice storm, had to emergency land at the wrong airport, etc, etc, but needless to say, I made it home!! I was frozen in Hawaii, so the ice storm was a somewhat shock to my system. This South Pacific islander was not ready for the cold!
My perfect welcome home committee!
I arrived back home just in time for Christmas celebrations. Going 15 months without seeing my mom and sister, and 9 months without seeing my dad, was all way too long. I’m much too close to my family for that! It was amazing to be with my family for Christmas again. We set up a giant tree and very obnoxious lights everywhere, typical Brown family fashion. I thought being home would feel like a foreign world, but I fit right back in and it felt great! Unfortunately, one of my dogs passed away during my service, so it was strange not having my Rascal to snuggle with at night, but other than that home felt pretty normal.
Princess Sala putting the star on the tree.
I loved being able to finally share my pictures, videos, and experiences with my family in person! I got us all matching puletasi’s made (and the male version for my dad). It was hilarious dressing everyone in Samoan clothes and teaching them how to say a Samoan prayer before dinner every night (I crack myself up)! We also had my aunt and cousin visit for Christmas, so it was a real Brown family affair. We went ice skating and hiking, and Samoa started to feel like a distant dream.
Brown family goes Samoan!
After Christmas, I had a series of amazing visitors. It’s so great to reunite with people after 15 months! I got to celebrate New Year’s Eve banging pots and pans again and I appreciated it more than ever before. After spending this holiday period in a foreign place with foreign people last year, it was such a wonderful feeling being surrounded by love this year. I’m not sure I’ve ever felt this much happiness in such a short amount of time before. We went to DC, we went to movies, we went to restaurants, we played board games (I won, duh). I embraced America to the fullest and I loved being home more than I ever have before.
I love America!!
All in all, this break taught me that I am so extremely supported and loved!! I have so many friends and family here for me and these 15 months haven’t ruined that. I feel like the luckiest human on the planet because I am able to truly appreciate America, friendships, and family. THANK YOU to all of my visitors and everyone who made my time at home so amazing. I can’t say that it’s easy to leave again for another year, but I can say that I’m leaving with a happy heart and that’s an incredible feeling.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for visiting!!
From Gaithersburg to Sili, I’m off to my final year of Peace Corps service!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous pictures and so glad you loved your vacation!!!! thrilled I got to see you before you returned! haha -- I thought if I deleted the former one, it would take off my stupid profile name! but it didn't! so I tried again with hopefully a better name! xxoo

    ReplyDelete