Thursday, September 29, 2016

One year later

ONE YEAR ago today I boarded a plane for Staging in Hawaii! I cannot believe it’s been a full year since I left – this is definitely a huge milestone! Also, Term 3 has come to a close, meaning I’m ¾ of the way through my first year as a teacher! This term I got a lot done within the classroom and really found my groove with teaching primary school, so I’m looking forward to finishing off the year strong.
My precious students during class.
This term featured Literacy Week, which was an entire week essentially dedicated to our mission as Peace Corps Volunteers. It was exciting to promote reading within the whole school! We even had a district competition, featuring a guest appearance by Miss Samoa. We had other district get-togethers (about 8 primary schools), including a Cricket tournament and a professional development day for the teachers. The professional development was extra exciting for me because it was the trainings I had prepared with the Ministry of Education! It was really rewarding seeing our trainings in Apia being executed to the villages.
Miss Samoa reading to the students!
This term, a volunteer two villages away completed a grant for a Creative Learning Center and I was able to help her with it. She obviously did all the work, but after school I would run to her village and help paint. Those of you who know me know that I’m the least creative person there is, but for some reason she trusted me with a paintbrush! It was really exciting for her village and I got to attend the grand opening as well.
Gataivai's new Creative Learning Center!
With my downtime recently, I’ve been spending lots of time at the plantation and doing other Samoan chores. I learned how to make cocoa from the seeds, I perfected my machete skills, and I also improved my carrying coconuts ability. Aside from plantation time, at home I’ve been learning how to make Samoan mats. This is quite the process! So far I’ve learned how to get the leaves ready (trim them, cook them, dry them, and roll them). We haven’t even gotten to the weaving yet! I’m loving the integration and definitely bonding with my family through it all.
Carrying coconuts back home from the plantation.
I was able to have a very nerdy moment away from site as well. A few volunteers and I went on a geology tour of my island (Savai’i). I had seen the island multiple times already (plus I live here), but the tour was wonderful! I learned so much about where I live. To make sure I don’t bore you, I’ll just summarize it. My island is volcanically active and we have over 400 craters. Because of all the volcanic activity, the soil is not old enough for crops to really prosper here, which is why our population is so low. The rise in sea level (from climate change) is actually making Savai’i rise as well. There are parts of the island that have broken off and fault lines where other parts may easily break off as well. Basically, I was wishing I had studied geology! This place is a landmine for it. As part of the tour, we were able to climb the biggest crater on Savai’i: Tofua Crater. Of course, there were plants growing inside of it, but you could still see how deep and wide it was! Living in the crater, there are diurnal bats, meaning we were hiking with bats. Now, I’m not the biggest fan of bats, so I wasn’t too excited that they were awake during the daytime.
On the side of a volcanic crater!
Also on the tour, we went back to several places I love here: the Taga Blowholes, the Saleaula Lava Ruins, etc. I got to see the Letui Peapea Cave for the first time! It wasn’t as crazy as the Dwarf Cave, but still neat to see. Once inside, if you turn off all the flashlights, it really is freaky! I’m not the biggest fan of not being able to see what’s one centimeter in front of my face, so I got out pretty quickly. The geologist tour guide also knew some secret pathways to the coast, which were gorgeous. The coast on this side of the island is all lava rock, which forms really pretty arches as it breaks down over time.
Secret spot on the Savai'i coast.
All in all, ONE YEAR later and I still love exploring and integrating here. There’s always something new to learn and see. I can’t believe it’s been a full year since I’ve been on American soil, but I’ve learned a lot about myself and this beautiful country.

It’s time to welcome in Group 88!

No comments:

Post a Comment