Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Kerisimasi

Manuia le Kerisimasi ma le Tausaga Fou! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Samoa. This is my first blog post as an official Peace Corps Volunteer!
Your newest 21 Peace Corps Samoa Volunteers!
For the remainder of my time in Sa’anapu, I grew to love my second family. Saying goodbye was very tough! As our training came to a close, the village had many events for us to attend. The women’s committee had a ceremony for us, the church had a ceremony for us, and we also performed for the youth group. I’ve probably never danced this much in my life, but it’s a huge part of Samoan culture and I love it (despite my lack of any rhythm whatsoever).
My host mom made my sister and I matching outfits.
On December 11, 2015, Group 87 said our oath and swore in as volunteers here in Samoa. It was a very exciting day! We were invited to dinner with the U.S. Ambassador the night before, which was surreal. We then all went our separate ways. Each one of us is in our own village, ranging between the two main islands of Samoa. I got very used to living in a village with the other volunteers. We got to spend Thanksgiving together at a resort, which definitely helped being away from home! I’m sure we will get to explore together and reunite as our time continues, but now we’re each on our own journey.
Group 86, Group 87, and Peace Corps Staff with the Ambassador.
Ever since swearing in, I’ve been living in Sili, my permanent village for the next two years. My family is incredible and I cannot wait to get to know them better (aka learn their names). My host parents have 12 children and most of them are married with kids of their own. We all live on the same family compound, so I have lots and lots of siblings, nieces, nephews, etc. I think I’m becoming Samoan because I just call everyone my sister or brother.
My cute pink house in Sili!
Sili is beautiful! It’s on Savai’i, which is the bigger, less populated island. It’s also inland, so it’s isolated from cars and other villages. We have a huge river running through the village, which is gorgeous. Unfortunately, people who live on the other side of the river have to walk across it just to get to school, church, or the rest of the village. Walking across the river comes naturally to people in my village, but it’s quite the challenge for me! I’m picturing the day when I get washed down stream. I’ve only crossed the river twice thus far and my brothers had to save me when I got swept away the second time (smooth, Sarah). Having a river is quite the blessing, though. Running water is a somewhat rare occurrence in my house, so I’m able to go to the river to rinse off or do my laundry. My host siblings and I also play volleyball in the river, which is hilarious!
Someone walking across Sili's gorgeous river.
School doesn’t start until the end of January, so my real “job” hasn’t begun, but I’ve jumped straight into integration here. I can’t communicate very well with people, but I joined my church’s youth group and choir for our Christmas performance. We performed about 10 different dances on Christmas Eve in the pouring rain. We then walked the village at midnight singing songs. It was one of the most loving Christmases I’ve ever witnessed. Santa and presents don’t exist here, so it really is all about family and community. I also joined our women’s committee and got to go throughout the village inspecting everyone’s houses. The women of my village are quite funny people, as they set me up with the Mormon missionary who is placed in Sili. This is how proposal numero 2 happened. No pigs were offered this time, so naturally I declined.
One of my many Samoan dance outfits.
We are currently welcoming in 2016 with Cyclone Ula tonight, so wish me luck. Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment